Thursday, September 5, 2013

Parable of the Fireflies

 

Parable of the Fireflies


Not all promptings from the Holy Ghost are going to be earth-shattering, life-changing instructions. Often they are pinprick thoughts that would make your world a little smoother. Lately, I’ve been trying to pay attention to these tiny promptings.
“Bring a loaf of bread to church.”
 



“Return those library books today, even though they’re due next week.”

“Send that email to that person as well.”






I couldn’t know that bread would be needed for Sacrament that day, or that I would become ill next week, or that a particular person could answer my email quicker than the other recipients.

Listening to the Holy Ghost, in these cases, was not really vital. Like little fireflies to be caught in a jar, these little promptings provided a opportunities for moments of enjoyment and peace.

 
All too often, though, I bat such promptings away as if they are annoying bugs. The result is inevitably a missed opportunity or inconvenience.
 
When this happens, I plead with the Lord to keep sending small promptings until I start listening. Fortunately, He is kind enough to do it.

 
Find my next parable here.

No comments:

Post a Comment