Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Look Out! I'm about to get controversial.


Being an ethnic minority at my high school taught me a few things. Though I was valedictorian of my graduating class (with the best grades of the entire school I might add), I watched classmate after classmate come forward to accept their scholarships. Some of the students walked away with literally tens of thousands of dollars. I received one scholarship in the amount of $500.

In those days, the internet was still a fairly new contraption, so the best way to find grants and scholarships was through the school counselor. I’d applied for every scholarship I could, but my minority status made me ineligible for 90% of the scholarships available.

Please don’t pity me! I did get a college education and am living a very satisfying life now. But what I learned that day was that being an ethnic minority has nothing to do with the color of your skin.
Because, you see, I’m white.

No comments:

Post a Comment